The SANC Circular 13/2014
30 September 2014
|To:||Nursing Education Institutions|
|National Department of Health|
|Provincial Departments of Health|
Legacy Nursing Education and Training Programmes that will be NO LONGER OFFERED after 30 June 2015
To inform all stakeholders about the date on which the offering of certain Legacy Nursing Education and Training programmes will be discontinued.
The end date of enrolment for the Legacy Nursing Qualifications is 30 June 2015, with a teach out period of two years as prescribed by South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). The production of nurses who have undergone the Course Leading to Enrolment as a Nurse (Government Notice No. R.2175 of 19 November 1993 as amended) or Course Leading to Enrolment as Nursing Auxiliary (Government Notice No. R.2176 of 19 November 1993 as amended) has increased alarmingly over the last five years. The table below provides the empirical evidence on the production of these categories of nurses.
|Category||Students who passed examinations|
It is against this background that the Council resolved that the following Legacy Nursing Qualifications must be discontinued, paving the way for the implementation of the New Nursing Qualifications:
1) The Course Leading to Enrolment as a Nurse (Government Notice No. R.2175 of 19 November 1993 as amended).
2) The Course Leading to Enrolment as a Nursing Auxiliary (Government Notice No. R.2176 of 19 November 1993 as amended).
The Council further resolved that the prospective applicants who wish to offer new qualifications (Higher Certificate: Auxiliary Nurse; Government Notice No. R.169 of 8 March 2013 and Diploma in Nursing: Staff Nurse; Government Notice No. R.171 of 8 March 2013) must apply to:
1) Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in order to obtain a registration certificate and number
2) South African Nursing Council (SANC) and submit the programmes in order to get endorsement letter from SANC
3) Council on Higher Education (CHE) and submit the programmes for accreditation.
All prospective applicants are advised to visit the SANC website (www.sanc.co.za) and to download the following documents for further information:
2) Revised Qualifications Frameworks issued in July 2014.
This circular becomes implementable on the date of its issue.
For further clarity on this circular, you are advised to contact the Senior Manager: Education and Training; Dr S.W. Mkhize.
Mr. T. Mabuda
Registrar and CEO
South African Nursing Council